The United States will ask Cuba to slash its staff from its Washington embassy by 60 percent, according to officials.
The decision comes after the U.S. announced it would cut 60 percent of its staff from Havana's embassy in Cuba, over alleged "attacks" against embassy staff.
The State Department is expected to make the announcement on Tuesday, officials told AP.
In August, the U.S. State Department reported that U.S. embassy staff — as well as five Canadians — in Havana experienced unusual audio disturbances.
Last week, Cuban Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla met with the U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to deny allegations the Cuban government was involved.
"The Cuban government has never perpetrated nor will it ever perpetrate attacks of any kind against diplomats," Cuban government said in a statement on Thursday, when rumors of the embassy staff cut began to circulate.
But despite the meeting, the United States announced it would remove about 60 percent of government staff out of Cuba and issue a travel advisory for the U.S. citizens.
Cuban diplomat and foreign ministry head of U.S. affairs, Josefina Vidal, said, "(The decision) will particularly affect cooperation in the mutual interest of both countries and the diverse exchanges taking place between Cuba and the U.S."
"For the full clarification of the facts it will be essential to have and have the participation and effective involvement of the U.S. authorities," she said in a statement on Friday.
The remaining 40 percent of employees who will remain at the Havana embassy are "emergency personnel."