• Live
    • Audio Only
  • Share on Google +
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on twitter
  • Bin Salman is considered the architect of the Saudi war on Yemen.

    Bin Salman is considered the architect of the Saudi war on Yemen. | Photo: Reuters

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was quite clear with Steve Hadley and me that he wants out of Yemen, former U.S. Ambassador to Israel, Martin Indyk's email.

Middle East Eye news reported on Monday that leaked emails reveal that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is seeking to exit the war against Yemen.

RELATED: 
UN Says Yemen Is Now the Largest Global Humanitarian Crisis

More than two years into the conflict Riyadh is viewing the war as unwinnable.

Bin Salman is considered the architect of the Saudi war on Yemen, which began in March 2015.

The news agency reported that the Saudi heir – who also serves as defense minister – broached the subject in a meeting with ex-U.S. National Security Adviser, Stephen Hadley and former U.S. Ambassador to Israel, Martin Indyk.

In April, GlobalLeaks obtained emails that detailed the meeting in an exchange between Indyk and Emirati Ambassador to Washington Yousef al-Otaiba.

Otaiba wrote to Indyk that he thought Prince Salman “is far more pragmatic than what we hear is (sic) Saudi public positions.”

And, Indyk replied, “I agree on that. He was quite clear with Steve Hadley and me that he wants out of Yemen,” adding that the Saudi prince “is OK with the U.S. engaging Iran as long as it is coordinated in advance and the objectives are clear.”

The report surfaced days after Iraqi Interior Minister Qasim al-Araji said bin Salman had officially asked him to mediate between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

RELATED: 
'Shame on Humanity': Head of CARE Addresses Crisis in Yemen

The military offensive, which is aimed at eliminating Yemeni Houthis and reinstall the Riyadh-friendly former president, has cost the Saudi Kingdom billions of dollars.

A Saudi-led bombing campaign – which has been accompanied by a naval and aerial blockade on Yemen – has, so far, caused and donated $67 million to the worst cholera outbreak in the world, killed over 12,000 people and left 70 percent of the country’s 27 million population needing humanitarian aid.

More than half-a-million Yemenis have been infected with cholera and nearly 2,000 others have died, according to figures provided by the World Health Organization.

Saudi Arabia has also faced international scrutiny regarding the number of civilian casualties and infrastructural damage in Yemen.


Comment
0
Comments
Post with no comments.