• Live
    • Audio Only
  • Share on Google +
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on twitter
  • A missile is launched during a long and medium-range ballistic rocket launch drill in this photo released by North Korea

    A missile is launched during a long and medium-range ballistic rocket launch drill in this photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang on August 30, 2017. | Photo: Reuters

Pyongyang has rejected the U.N.'s recent statements, saying the missile launch only came after warnings to the U.S. not to carry-out the drills with South Korea.

The Democratic People's Republic of North Korea (DPRK), which is commonly known as North Korea, has responded to and rejected the United Nations Security Council's statement condemning its ballistic missile launch, saying that the launch was a response to the decision of the United States to carry on with its joint war rehearsals with South Korea near its borders.

RELATED:
US Nuclear Arsenal Upgrade and Test Could 'Lower Threshhold' of Use, Russia Says

“We had already warned the United States that we would be closely monitoring its conduct,” the DPRK foreign ministry spokesperson said.

“The intermediate-range strategic ballistic rocket launching drill carried out by the Strategic Force of the Korean People's Army this time is only a curtain raiser to the resolute countermeasures to be taken against the United States, as it responded to our warning by waging the belligerent Ulji Freedom Guardian joint drills,” he continued.

Pyongyang leadership has repeatedly demanded that the United States call off its annual war rehearsals with South Korea, which involve tens of thousands of soldiers, as well as live munition bombing exercises near the demilitarized zone dividing the Korean Peninsula.

Following the launch of a medium-range ballistic missile on Tuesday, which flew over Japan and into its targeted Pacific waters, the United Nations Security Council released a statement calling the launch “outrageous.”

RELATED:
China Urges THAAD's Removal, Opposes 'Chaos or War' in Korea

“The Security Council expresses its grave concern that the DPRK is, by conducting such a launch over Japan as well as its recent actions and public statements, deliberately undermining regional peace and stability and has caused grave security concerns around the world,” the statement said.

Russian President, Vladmir Putin, for his part believes that “the policy of putting pressure on Pyongyang to stop its nuclear missile program is misguided and futile,” and that only a “direct dialogue of all the parties concerned without any preconditions” is a way forward. Putin condemned “provocations, pressure and militarist and insulting rhetoric” as a “dead-end road.”

China, who has proposed the dual approach of advancing denuclearization on the Korean peninsula, with the condition that the U.S. and South Korea stop military exercises, believes that “pressure and sanctions alone do not help the problem,” according to foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying.

Hua called on “the directly concerned parties” to “be brave” by backing down from aggressive rhetoric and actions.


Comment
0
Comments
Post with no comments.