• Live
    • Audio Only
  • Share on Google +
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on twitter
  • Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva attends a rally.

    Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva attends a rally. | Photo: Reuters

In 2014, the U.N. issued a report detailing that Brazil, had reduced undernourishment by more than 80 percent over 10 years.

“Hunger is returning to Brazil due to the irresponsibility of those who perpetrated the coup in the country,” said former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, adding that while historic workers' rights are systematically being stripped away, unemployment is on the rise due to Michel Temer's administration, according to Brasil de Fato.

RELATED:
Brazil's Lula Launches New Tour Ahead of 2018 Election

In 2014, the U.N. issued a report detailing that Brazil, having reduced undernourishment by more than 80 percent over the past 10 years, had been removed from the World Hunger Map. The period of progress comprises Lula's presidency as well as his successor, Dilma Rousseff, both members of the Workers' Party.

When the World Food Program hailed the country as a champion in the fight against hunger, former Social Development Minister Tereza Campello said “leaving the Hunger Map is a historic milestone for Brazil. We are very proud because overcoming hunger was a priority for the Brazilian state.”

To help remedy the crisis, Lula proposed that if he's allowed to run as a presidential candidate by the justice department in 2018, he'll propose a referendum to revoke measures implemented by the current, unelected administration. “We'll have to ask permission from the National Congress in order to change many errant things during this coup government.”

RELATED:
Brazil's Temer Blames Minister as Slave Labor Decree Slammed

He added that the referendum is a promise to voters. “I prefer to stay at home than become a candidate, get elected (president) and realize that everything's wrong but I can't do anything about it.”

Lula, who left office with a record approval rating of 83 percent, according to Datafolha, went on to accuse Globo and other corporate media outlets of political persecution, repeatedly accusing him of receiving properties as bribe payoffs. He previously stated that federal police investigators invaded his “home and the homes of my children. They even confiscated my mattress believing that cash or gold was tucked inside” but no evidence or money was found.

In regard to Temer's proposed social security reform, Lula described the measure as being wholly “against workers, against the poor,” according to Brasil 24/7. He also defended the role of small family farmers in providing healthy aliments to the country as opposed to big agribusiness.

Lula will embark on his third caravan through the states of Espirito Santo and Rio de Janeiro on Monday.


Comment
0
Comments
Post with no comments.