• Live
    • Audio Only
  • google plus
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • A damaged house where a Palestinian woman and her 18-month-old child were killed in the Gaza Strip, August 9, 2018.

    A damaged house where a Palestinian woman and her 18-month-old child were killed in the Gaza Strip, August 9, 2018. | Photo: Reuters

Published 9 August 2018

The Israeli Foreign Ministry said the original headline was a "deliberate misrepresentation of reality," and demanded it be changed.

The BBC changed its 'Israeli airstrikes kill a woman and a baby' headline to fit the occupation agenda after complaints by the Israeli Spokesperson of Foreign Affairs Emmanuel Nahshon.

RELATED:

Israeli Airstrikes on Gaza Kill Pregnant Woman and Her Toddler

The original headline reported on Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip, in which a pregnant 23-year-old woman and her 18-month-old daughter were killed on Wednesday. A man identified as Ali Alrandur, the son of a Hamas commander, was also killed. Several others were injured.

 

Nahshon and the Israeli Foreign Ministry said the headline was a "deliberate misrepresentation of reality," and demanded it be changed.

The BBC duly complied, changing the headline to 'Gaza air strikes 'kill woman and child' after rockets hit Israel.'

Hours later, the BBC issued a statement saying: "Although the original headline was not factually incorrect, we updated it to add more context. Whilst there was no intention to mislead our audiences, we regret any offense caused."

The spokesperson tried to highlight the Israeli narrative that victims on the Palestinian side are in retaliation for their own rocket attacks, which reportedly affected southern Israel.

Israeli media and supporters of the occupation have bashed British media outlets such as the BBC and the Guardian for their allegedly biased reports, but the BBC consistently uses language that favors the Israeli narrative: 'targeted killing' as a euphemism for 'execution without trial,' or 'Palestinians demand to return' instead of 'right to return.'

Several media outlets were reporting a ceasefire by midnight, but an Israeli official denied this and told Haaretz that Hamas had been seeking a ceasefire agreement since Thursday morning, but Israel continued to attack targets in the strip.

The Israeli occupation forces also reported they had destroyed a five-story building used by Hamas' security forces, but residents claim it housed the Said Mashal cultural center.

"The attacked building is an art and culture center which has no political or security use," one Gazan told Haaretz. "The building also serves the Egyptian community that lives in Gaza. There is no reason to target this building other than harming a Palestinian cultural symbol."


Comment
0
Comments
Post with no comments.