• Live
    • Audio Only
  • google plus
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Six months later, Ayotzinapa protests continue demanding the students be found alive and President Enrique Peña Nieto

    Six months later, Ayotzinapa protests continue demanding the students be found alive and President Enrique Peña Nieto's resignation. | Photo: AFP

Published 29 March 2015

Police in the southern state of Guerrero harassed peaceful demonstrators, causing clashes to erupt. Five people were reported injured.

Protests in connection with the enforced disappearance of the 43 Ayotzinapa missing students continued on Saturday in Chilpancingo, the capital of the violent southern Mexican state of Guerrero, where teacher trainees clashed with police, resulting in five people injured, according to local reports.

Ayotzinapa teacher trainees were traveling in a bus about midday, when they were detained by anti-rioting police in a roadblock near the Guerrero capital, teleSUR correspondent Eduardo Martinez said.


Officers arrested two students, which caused clashes to break out, and ultimately, however, the detainees were freed by police.

After being harassed by police, masked students retaliated burning official vehicles and attacking the a police station. Security officers responded with tear gas and by attacking the student buses with stones and sticks.

The lawyer for the Tlachinollan Mountain Human Rights Center, Vidulfo Rosales, explained the students were staging peaceful demonstrations in various locations, when they were stopped by Federal Police, whom after a few minutes of talks permitted the students to continue their route.

However, Rosales added, they were then stopped by state anti-riot police, who carried out aggressions against the students, who responded to the attacks.

The students were again stopped a third time by municipal police, which also ended up in confrontation.

Rosales said some of the injured students were taken to hospital for treatment.

A local official, David Martinez, accused the students of launching molotov coctails at a police station in Tixtla, 10 miles east of Chilpancingo. He said that police had instructions to not respond to any provocations.

March 26 marked six months since the enforced disappearance of the 43 Ayotzinapa students, after being attacked by municipal police who killed three of the students and three civilians and later allegedly handed over the detained teacher trainees to a local drug gang known as Guerreros Unidos or United Warriors.

Various gang members confessed after being arrested that they had taken the 43 students to a municipal dump near Iguala, where they were burnt to ashes and their remains deposited in trash bags that were later disposed of in a local river.

Since the tragic night of Sept. 26, federal authorities have arrested close to 100 persons in connection with the Ayotzinapa enforced disappearances, including the former mayor of Iguala, Jose Luis Abarca, and his wife, Maria de los Angeles Pineda, who has been accused of being the leader of the Guerreros Unidos.

The federal government has based their entire criminal investigation on the testimonies rendered by the drug gang members, which, according to critical magazine Proceso, were tortured to coerce them into declaring in line with the official account of events that led to the disappearance of the 43 students.

Parents of the Ayotzinapa victims and supporters – and even experts – have refuted the official version of the crime, vowing to continue protesting until the students are found.

Post with no comments.