Colombia’s Attorney General, Eduardo Montealegre, said senator and former President Alvaro Uribe could be investigated and put on trial by the country’s new Peace Tribunal for his alleged illegal actions as governor of Antioquia between 1995 and 1997.
Speaking to Noticias Caracol, Montealegre explained that the illegal actions were currently being investigated by the Supreme Court, and could be passed on to the tribunal.
Uribe allegedly knew about the creation and expansion of paramilitarism in Antioquia and allowed a group of paramilitaries to use a helicopter to kill 15 campesinos in Antioquia on Oct. 22 1997.
RELATED: Colombia Paramilitary Debate Puts Spotlight on Alvaro Uribe
The Interamerican Human Rights Court found the Colombian state guilty of violating the right to life by collaborating with government officials in the crime. In response, Uribe claimed that he was the victim of judicial and political persecution for opposing the peace process the Colombian government is conducting with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC.
All those advisers, people who are being investigated for favoring paramilitarism could be judged by this (court), Montealegre said, adding that soldiers involved in human rights violations could also be investigated.
RELATED: Who is Alvaro Uribe
Last week the Colombian government and the FARC announced the creation of the Peace Tribunal. They also agreed that the FARC would hand over its arms within two months of a final agreement being signed.
